Watermelon Xylophone

White Tea
Melon
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “Bubble Bath Tea #1 - Yum Yum!! I say that I'm not a big fan of flavored teas, & in particular I mean artificially flavored teas. Sometimes I have wierd reactions to them, like my lips &...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2861 tasting notes
  • “having a couple of my "green" teas before i switch to some of the caffeine free options i have tonight. Not because caffeine bothers me but because i feel compelled to also drink those up. I just...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4729 tasting notes
  • “Well this got oversteeped a bit. While I was steeping this tea the following things happened: my husband's jiujitsu buddy came over to train. the mailman with tea packages a friend of the...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1019 tasting notes
  • “Yet another attempt to get back on the tea-drinking, tea-reviewing bandwagon! I'm making a valiant effort to get through some of my older teas, particularly those not in resealable packages, and...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

This delicate tea pairs our lovely Organic Silver Needle with vibrant amaranth petals and a natural watermelon flavor. We highly recommend drinking this tea warm or with sugar to bring out the natural watermelon flavor. At a high temperature the flavor is not as strong. At a warm temperature, this tea is light and refreshing and starts out with floral and honey notes that quickly develop into juicy watermelon notes that linger. Add a little sugar and the tea bursts with a natural juiciness that tastes like fresh watermelon juice and finishes with floral and honey notes. This batch of Watermelon Xylophone is offered at a reduced rate, since we will be using a new Organic Silver Needle that is more expensive for future batches. For information on how we named this tea, check out our blog: http://butikiteas.blogspot.com/2012/08/behind-name-watermelon-xylophone-edition.html

Ingredients: Organic Silver Needle, Amaranth, Organic Watermelon Natural Flavoring

Recommended Brew Time: 4 minutes 30 seconds
Recommended Amount: 2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 185 F

For more information, please visit: http://www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

Bubble Bath Tea #1 – Yum Yum!!

I say that I’m not a big fan of flavored teas, & in particular I mean artificially flavored teas. Sometimes I have wierd reactions to them, like my lips & tastebuds puffing up a little. It doesn’t usually last a long time, but it’s wierd & unpleasant.

Even teas with ‘natural flavoring’ can be suspect, because you never REALLY know what is in them, & I have a lot of allergies.

This tea is delicious. I have no problems with it at all (or with anything I’ve gotten from Butiki so far), & although I don’t drink it often, when I do I’m in love. And usually in the bubble bath.

caile

Yay! Enjoy your bubble bath teas!

Butiki Teas

justorganictea-Can you follow me back so I can send you a message?

Just Organic Tea

Just did – thanks.

justorganic – it might be worth posting that in the discussion threads or sending PM’s to ppl outside of their tasting notes :)

Yvonne

Just Organic – Could you follow me back as well? Thank you!

Just Organic Tea

@Sil – thank you. I feel like a moron – I did not realize this was going into the tasting notes. I thought I was sending a PM directly to the reviewer.

haha no problem :) We’re a friendly sort here but wouldn’t want anyone to get upset with you trying to get some folks to review your teas!

having a couple of my “green” teas before i switch to some of the caffeine free options i have tonight. Not because caffeine bothers me but because i feel compelled to also drink those up. I just finished looking at my cupboard list/spreadsheet and it turns out that i’ve tried 1600 teas! (well that i’ve logged anyway). I like even numbers… I’m also having a great night because the snow has been falling all afternoon and it’s fluffy and beautiful outside tonight! And i might just work from home tomorrow…so that’s always a good tea time! I’m seriously itching to place an order but i am TRYING to hold back. It’s hard….i want more cacao…and some verdant staples…and mandala…and damn fine tea and new companies… sigh resistance IS futile…but maybe i can manage to hold out for one more week to get me into late march! Especially since not having samples (though some are inbound in swaps) has me able to focus on my older teas! Only 14 teas left before i’m within 6 months of my oldest tea…i won’t make it for the end of March i don’t think…but it’s always a possibility :)
2-May
2-June
6-July
2-August
2-September

Oh the games i play with myself to encourage me to do this, that or another thing and have fun doing it!

Sami Kelsh

I’m so confused by all the math involved here, but HOLY CRUD 1600 teas. I’m just going to sit here in quiet awe.

admires

keychange

It is fun, though! I’ve never actually counted how many teas I have including samples, and I shudder to think of the number! and omg at 1600…that’s insane!!

keychange

Oh and LOL at a rating of 85 but “not recommended” hehe.

Sami – no math on that, steepster tells me when i look at my tea ratings haha

keychange – i started a spreadhseet most just so i could keep track of my older teas. And when my teas come in, i toss the month on the bag so i can see it when it’s in my cupboard too

(steepster being weird..it also set this to 100 and not recommended…)

Sami Kelsh

I have 76 teas, unless I’m forgetting some, which I probably am. And I nearly ordered another five today. Whoops.

Oh yeah, I was slightly confused by the rating/recommendation combo, too ;)

And to be fair, I keep a spreadsheet for all my blends, to keep track of flavour profiles and tasting notes and caffeine levels and tea types and all that good stuff. And it really is fun.

Fjellrev

That’s impressive! I have teas that are over 1.5 years old.

keychange

You spreadsheeters are so organized!

swedish chef…well when you drink crazy amounts of tea, as everyone seems to think i do…it’s easy to keep rotating through things :)

Fjellrev

Oh yeah, totally! I think if I’d be more into swapping, hence breaking up and divvying out the stuff I buy faster, that would aid in rotation too. Instead, I have a tin of H&S SoHo just sitting there sloooowly disappearing since the fall before haha.

keychange

swapping can be stupidly addictive! so much fun.

i love swapping… giggling

my husband’s jiujitsu buddy came over to train.
the mailman with tea packages
a friend of the husband’s came over to drop off something, we chatted a bit about his work.

So I have no idea how long this got steeped for, 15 minutes? Surprisingly, the flavor is still fine, maybe not as delicate watermelon, with more white tea potency. Now bitterness though, phew. The other day I was sampling a white tea for a blog review, and I’m finding some whites are a little more durable than I previously thought.

Yet another attempt to get back on the tea-drinking, tea-reviewing bandwagon!

I’m making a valiant effort to get through some of my older teas, particularly those not in resealable packages, and lucky(?) for me, Butiki teas fall into that category! So I’ve been neglecting swap samples and having Butikis instead. Bad.

Anyways, despite being a bit elderly, this tea is still great. Delicate and melony and quite delicious. I’ve said before that I prefer Cantaloupe & Cream because of the creaminess, and that still holds, but this one’s still quite a treat :) A couple cups left to savour before I’m out!

keychange

Cantaloupe and cream is the best!

Kittenna

I know! Butiki fangirl forever!

Yvonne

I hear so much about these – gotta pick them up one day!

Cavocorax

Yay – glad you’re back!

Kittenna

I think this is the fourth or so time I’ve been "back"… let’s see if it sticks this time! Of course, that may also mean I start buying tea, and that would be ridiculous…

Cavocorax

Well you could always start by selling off some of your tea? We’ve got a fairly active thread for that.

Then you could justify more? Hahaha

OMGsrsly

Hi!! :)

It’s my birthday! Whee!

I am very much one of those people who make a big deal out of birthdays. I decided to ring this one in with something light and sweet and summery to distract me from the cold. This tea tastes like optimism tonight.

Next up is some Butiki Lavender Chamomile to lull me gently to sleep…

MissB

Happy You Day! Hope it’s spectacular and brings a year full of joy and abundance.

JustJames

happy birthday… they are wonderful things. hope the year is outstanding =0)

Happy birthday! Hope you had a nice relaxing day :)

Katiek

Happy Birthday! Always good to celebrate!

MissLena

Happy birthday! Hope it’s a good one :)

Dexter

Happy Birthday!!

greenteafairy

Happy birthday!

caile

Happy birthday!!

Butiki Teas

I hope you had a wonderful Birthday! I’m the same way, its really important to make a big deal out of birthdays. :)

Ana

Happy Birthday! :)

Rachel Leah

Happy birthday!!

Kaylee

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone!

Grr… Chrome crashed so I lost my really nice tasting note on this one, and now I don’t have time to completely right it out before I leave for the bus/my interview so I’m just going to be able to summarize.

But basically this was an expectedly pleasant follow up after starting my morning with a not so pleasant cold brew. I knew it would be great (it is a personal favourite, after all) so I made some up to enjoy while watching the most recent episode of How I Met Your Mother. I was a beautiful, gentle start to the day (much more than chemical oranges) and one of those rare moments of “tea nirvana” where things just sort of slow down and get really pleasantly peaceful/perfect.

And now off to an interview! Fingers crossed – and this time I’ll try not to go into DAVIDsTEA to look at the hot employee buy more tea.

Rosehips

Good luck!

I am so behind on my tasting notes it’s almost embarrassing. I have like 10+ to log that I’ve totally neglected! I’ve had a lot of work-related stuff to do the past few weeks, including dealing with NYCC’s ridiculously elaborate press registration. Why do I need to fill out a 5 page form and FAX it? Is it 1990 and no one told me?! Seriously, who faxes anything anymore. But I got my badge, so now that’s all taken care of I need to catch up on tea!

This tea is magical. I think Stacy is some sort of tea fairy who just sprinkles stuff with magic dust and voila, it’s perfect! You see, this is a VERY watermelon-y tea. In the bag it smells like candy. Not Jolly Rancher watermelon, but pure tasty watermelon. When it’s brewed (cold steeped in this case) it’s an almost crystal-clear liquid that smells SO strongly of watermelon it’s amazing! And the taste, wow. It’s SO natural watermelon! And really strong! But, at the same time it’s not overly strong at all. In fact, while it’s very watermelon-y there’s just as much if not more of the delicious white base going on. It’s like… watermelon juice and white tea together in harmony.

I don’t think I am properly describing it, but it’s like… the most natural, perfect flavoring in the world. You’d never know it was actually flavored at all it tastes so natural! Like the tea leaves just grew and tasted like watermelon. My dad, who is wary of fruity-flavored teas, even loved this one! He mentioned it the other day, so I think I might get him some of this for Christmas. It’s just… perfection!

Nik

Sounds luscious, can’t wait to try it. I have to look up cold steeping. I’ve only ever brewed a tea normally, let it cool, then added ice to it. It worked out fine (pretty great, actually), but I ended up steeping the tea for like 12 hours, and I don’t have the patience to do that all the time.

Alphakitty

I usually cold steep while I’m sleeping: put it in the fridge a few hours before bed, wake up and voila! Cold brewing is done! When I do them during the afternoon/evening it’s usually a strong black that I know can cold brew in about 4 hours, mostly because I get very impatient and want my tea right away!

Terri HarpLady

Alphakitty, thanks for reminding me that I still have some of this delicious tea left! It really is tasty, & for someone like me (not a big fan of most flavored teas), it’s a real treat!

LiberTEAS

Must Try this one!

LiberTEAS

Must try this one!

Babble

I do the same as you. I cold brew overnight. Are you only supposed to cold brew black tea for four hours?

Alphakitty

No, I cold brew blacks overnight too BUT you can get a really decent cold brew out of a strong one in a pretty short amount of time.

Nik

Do you use the same tea-to-water ratio as you do for normal/hot brewing? I’ve read that more tea is used when making iced tea, just curious what you folks do.

Babble

I do. I thought you were only supposed to use more tea if you are going to immediately put it on ice since it dilutes it.

Nik

Thanks, Rachel, good to know. =)

Increased the leaf to water ratio to 1 tablespoon for 281 ml.
There is more creaminess at this concentration.

If you ordered this, can I steal a sample? I haven’t yet picked up a sample of this from stacy

Raritea

This was the last of my sample that Stacy sent me from my order. Sorry :(
I highly recommend trying it though- definitely something to request with our next order!

not a problem. I knew you’d gotten a bunch of samples so i wasnt sure if this was an order or sample. It’s not like i won’t be ordering again from stacy :)

Kittenna

Sarah – I have some of this, you’re welcome to a sample.

Ooh! Ok!

About time I get down to Watermelon Xylophone. I felt like something light and airy and figured this would be a good choice. The dry leaf smells quite similar to Cantaloupe and Cream, although from memory, understandably, Cantaloupe and Cream has a creamier aspect to it.

The taste is actually quite similar, too. It’s not a definite watermelon, not artificial either, but very similar to the Cantaloupe and Cream. The melon here is crisper. I’m sure this would make an awesome cold brew, but that would be quite expensive.

It’s beautiful but I think I prefer the Cantaloupe and Cream since it has more going on. But I’ll gladly enjoy the rest of the smaller amount I got with our West Coast group order!

On an unrelated note, I have Abba’s Dancing Queen in my head and I have no idea why. Maybe Watermelon Xylophone sparks happy tunage.

Amariel

Same here…very much like C&C, and I prefer C&C to this.

Fjellrev

Have you tried either of them iced/cold brewed?

OMGsrsly

I really like Watermelon Xylophone iced. Haven’t cold brewed it yet.

Amariel

Um, iced…no, I don’t think, but I think I did C&C cold brewed, but like it better hot, surprisingly.

THANK YOU STACY FROM BUTIKI FOR THIS PRE-RELEASE SAMPLE!

So I got this as a free sample from Butiki in my recent order…a handwritten note from Stacy said:

«brand new Watermelon Xylophone which has not yet hit our website!»

How cool is that???

Made me feel so special!  I asked her if she would want me to add it in order to review it or wait for it’s official release.  She graciously provided the ingredients so I can do a proper review.

The tea is pretty, what isn’t pretty about silver needles?  Also, blended in are some cute pinkish purple Globe Amaranth petals.  Now I had to google that!  Call me ignorant, but I had no clue what they were;

«an all-time flower-gardening favorite. It seems to have it all — it thrives in hot conditions, it blooms nearly nonstop, the interesting pom-pom flowers are great for cutting and drying, and it attracts butterflies. Plant globe amaranth and then step back to watch it thrive and add continual beauty until frost.».  Well I need to get me some of those!

She had also written on the note some thoughtful recommendation for brewing instructions: « we highly recommend adding sugar to that tea or waiting until the tea has cooled down significantly»

Hummm…  I rarely add any sugar to anything.  And not trying the tea while it’s hot?   Ask a girl NOT to do something and what will she do?…

…I had it hot, with no sugar… Common, I didn’t intend to have it all this way, just have a sip out of curiosity!

It was very delicate, as a good silver needle.  But not much flavoring going on, I could barely detect any watermelon.  A slight flowery taste emerging, but that’s about it.

Conclusion:  got to listen to the maker and add sugar.  I added about 1/2 tsp of pure coconut sugar and I let it cool down for a while. The taste:  she knew what she was talking about… Watermelon?  Oh yeah!  Just like magic, the sugar brought that flavor out, all of a sudden, it’s juicy and luscious. Not in a bold in your face kind of way, but as a real watermelon squeezed juice, as if you just did that, squeezed a large wedge of watermelon over  a fresh cup of silver needle.  There’s also that flowery taste that lingers in your mouth…Feels like a summer reminder, already taking a step back and inviting autumn to take over…

I’m in love with Butiki, I feel as if I never had «real» flavored teas before!

Now why is it called Watermelon Xylophone? I know it’s most probably far from the truth, but here’s my interpretation:  first, the needles do remind me of the long keys of a xylophone.  And just like a xylophone, the taste escalates and explodes in a beautiful ascent!

I feel so honored I got to try this!

momo

Oh my gosh, this just made me more excited for this tea. I can’t wait to order it when it’s out!!!

TheTeaFairy

I know!! I’m still not over the fact that I didn’t order Flowery Pineapple oolong…now I have another reason to re-order from them, as if I need one…Not funny, soon I’ll be facing bankruptcy because of severe tea addiction!

Butiki Teas

I love your guess for why the tea is called Watermelon Xylophone. Much more poetic than how it came to be. :)

Sugar is really needed for this blend or at least it needs to cool. If I had added the dried watermelon the natural sugars could have enhanced the flavors but I couldn’t find a suitable watermelon that met our standards. I searched the web but did find an amazing dried watermelon on nuts.com. Yum. Sort of like a natural watermelon taffy. Unfortunately, it had to much moisture to be added to tea.

Awesome so glad you got to try this ahead of time. I’m actually tempted to try it now as I wasn’t before since I usually don’t like watermelon flavored things. Really looking forward to the grapefruit one.

Bonnie

Very nice. The fact that you too time with this tea and explained everything is so good. Sugar can be important sometimes but not always to the taste in tea. Also, the tea mixologist knows what they’re talking about!

mpierce87

OK you sold me. I must have this when it becomes available. :-)

Fjellrev

I’m liking the name of this. :)

tigress_al

Sounds yummy! Nice preview

TheTeaFairy

@Butiki: can’t wait to find out the real story behind the name:-)

TheTeaFairy

@Sil: Yes, I think you should give it a try, the more if you’re not a big fan of watermelon since it’s not a Jolly Rancher type of flavoring!

@Bonnie: I’m learning about putting sweet in my tea when it’s needed. Don’t hate me for it, but I’m not much of a sweet tooth. The only sweet I usually get is from fruits (lots of them!), dark chocolate and dessert tea! What I’m now getting is that SOMETIMES, sweet (when added in the right amount), enhences the flavor as opposed to mask it. This tea was a good example of that:-)

Butiki Teas

TheTeaFairy-Should have the story up on our blog today. :)

Butiki Teas

Watermelon Xylophone has officially hit our website! :)