Mother's Little Helper (organic)

Herbal Tea
Chamomile, Cornflower Petals, Hibiscus, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Rose Hips, Valerian Root
Flowers, Lemon, Peppermint, Tangy, Herbaceous, Lemongrass, Hibiscus, Sweet, Mint, Floral, Herbs, Fruity, Medicinal, Lemon Zest
Caffeine Free
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by madametj

The great escape

Need a little relaxation? Try running for the shelter of this mother’s little helper. It’s got organic valerian (aka “nature’s Valium”) to take the edge off your 24/7 reality. Plus there’s chamomile, peppermint and lemongrass for an added dose of tranquility. And pretty blue cornflowers just to make you happy. One sip and you’ll feel like you’ve spent the day at a spa. (MK Kosher)

Ingredients: Organic: peppermint, lemongrass, rosehips, Fair Trade Certified hibiscus, chamomile flowers, valerian root, cornflowers. With natural peppermint flavouring*.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Day 11 of the advent calendar. I didn’t love this one. The peppermint is nice. I enjoy peppermint flavour in tea. The hibiscus ruined it for me though. I’m not a fan of hibiscus to begin with but I can tolerate it if I find that it mixes well with the other flavours. I found it was too pronounced here. I’m also not a fan of chamomile. Luckily, the chamomile in this tea is mild so it didn’t bother me. I re-steeped this tea and the hibiscus was lighter and less offensive the second time around. This isn’t a tea I’d ever buy for myself. Just wasn’t that crazy about it.

Flavors: Flowers, Herbs, Hibiscus, Peppermint

Im only drinking this because I’ve been having tremendous difficulty falling asleep at night lately and I’m hoping this will help. Im not a fan of this tea simply because I despise chamomile but I drink it anyway because I know I need it. I’m not reviewing this for the taste as much as I’m reviewing for the potency and ability to help me fall asleep and thus far I’m feeling me eyes get heavy. Good job DT, not only do you make some tasty teas, you make some helpful ones too! BTW this is brewed in a teapot so the tsp and oz are quite large

Boiling 8 min or more 3 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML

Dry, this tea smells very fresh and minty.

After steeping it for 5 min in water that I let sit for about 2 min after it finished boiling and adding a spoonful of honey this tea is delicious as always. I made it in a clear mug tonight and it has a wonderful pink color, reminds me of watermelon juice for some reason.

After letting it cool for a while, I can finally have another taste of this wonderful tea. It’s light and fresh, with a fairly strong minty flavor, a slight grassy-ness to it, and an almost strawberry like taste. Perfect. Relaxing, soothing, and comforting all at once, my favorite bedtime tea.

Flavors: Fruity, Lemongrass, Mint

5 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

This was perhaps my least favorite mint tea ever. It smelled like poop!

Maman died today.

The postcard came in the mail last night. I was asleep. I saw a man come in, however. He was dressed all in grey. He wore an off-tilted hat with a white ridge around the brim, and then he handed me the letter sealed with a gold wax seal. I thought it was a nice gesture as no one takes the time to put a nice seal on letters anymore. Without thinking, I responded with a “Thank You”, and the man drove away.

Afterwards, it struck me that I needn’t have said that. I had no reason to thank the delivery boy; he was probably getting paid to do it. I thought: how many more letters would he deliver that day? He reminded me of a fellow that I used to know; a friend, even, Raymond was to me. He lived a simple life. In the mornings, Raymond didn’t go out; it was only until the evening that he went out. He always had the company of a young girl, and he even told me one time that he couldn’t go on without them. He was unusual. Or was that Edward?

Regardless, the letter came to me – Maman had wanted that I see it. I peeled back the seal and peeked inside, but there was nothing in it. An empty envelope, inviting yet unsettling. Perhaps she had run out of time to fill it? Perhaps it was a message. A gift, even: hope. Maybe I could become somebody or do something as well. Without an interruption, I would have kept on going without a direction.

As soon as I had grasped these feelings, I began to feel drowsy again. I couldn’t fight back the sensation, so I began to think back to the man with the grey hat. He continued to go on doing his job; continued to go on working towards whatever it was that he was working towards, and went on despite fatigue or hunger. But his task, being so simple, so mundane, surely could not be significant. Rather, looking back down at the now open envelope, I began to feel disappointed. I thought that despite the white hope that Maman gave me, I would lack the ethic and would thus fail. I can’t fail.

I wish I could go on, but I must go to sleep now for the light is blinding.

Flavors: Flowers, Medicinal, Peppermint

In the style of Mersault, our boy of the sea and the sun himself, I tried to tackle understanding different ways of life and creating a unique purpose and thus meaning to one’s own life. Rather absurd, isn’t it?

I don’t like the taste…. but man did this make me sleepy! Didn’t think it would work.

I recommend if you have trouble sleeping.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I’m not sure with what this tea is supposed to help mothers. Maybe they could use it as a punishment? “If you hit your sister one more time, so help me God I will get out the Mother’s Little Helper. Don’t make me do it!” That’s what I envision.

This tea. Just no. It tastes like what I imagine laundry detergent would taste like. You are avenged for the lavender chamomile, Virginia. I won’t rate this because I obviously have a problem with some flavor in here. I’m sure if you like all the ingredients, it would be…. ingestible?

carol who

I love the idea of tea as punishment!

Between the chamomile and the valerian I think it’s supposed to sedate you. ;-)

I was initially skeptical going into this tea for it’s medicinal values. I’ve had it several times, and while the flavour is good I never noticed much of the proclaimed relaxation effect that it boasts. Valerian root doesn’t work on me all that well. I never get tired from it. If anything , it has an adverse effect and keeps me up. I have a pretty sever anxiety disorder, and almost nothing but medication fixes it when I’m in crisis mode.

I was out of my usual vice a few weeks ago and not only was I an anxious mess, but had a raging head ache. I was desperate, and after realizing that my chamomile was stale, I decided to give this a whirl. To my complete surprise, a 16 oz cup later and I was feeling a lot better. I had stopped clenching my jaw and jittering, and I will admit I was kind of at peace with everything while I was engaged with this cup of tea.

As for flavour, it’s actually pretty extraordinary for an herbal tea. I’m not a big herbal fan, but this blend of chamomile and rosehips and peppermint really balances itself out well. There’s not too much of anything happening at once. Aside from the mint flavour that permeates throughout, there is a lovely hint of citrus that adds a touch of something exciting with each sip. They do a fantastic job of covering the the Valerian root stench. It’s a very accurate nose to cup, and I enjoyed every sip of it. I do believe this has become one of my at home staples.

Flavors: Flowers, Lemon Zest

As a mother of two children with a husband who snores very loudly, sleep doesn’t always come to greet me at night..HOWEVER since I’ve started drinking MLH before bed at night, I have found my dreamland bliss. I couldn’t ask for anything better. It’s been a week straight that I sleep 7 hours without being woken up by my husband’s snoring. When I open up my tin can and the aroma hits my nose, I am instantly sent into a state of relaxation. I reccomend this tea 1000fold.

I got this tea from DAVIDsTEA, because I want to try herbal blend, tisane, and being organic. Certainly the cute name helps. and I love lemongrass.

But when I taste it, it disappointed me. It tastes very shallow, plain, without much sophistication of texture or aroma. I drank it in the afternoon. it didn’t make me sleepy, luckily, lol.

Does anyone recommend any really good herbal blend?

carol who

You are lucky you live in SF. They have a lot of tea shops. Most tea shops give sample tastes and that might be a good way to explore herbal blends. There are soooooo many I couldn’t even guess to tell you where to start. I found out early on that I don’t like hibiscus so now I know to avoid that. You’ll probably have to try a bunch to see what you like. Have fun!

hi Carol, yeah, I keep discovering tea shops in SF…today just found a new one through twitter, called, looks very expensive, though. where do you live? not even Teavana or DAVIDstea?